MaRS Discovery District
Associate, Online Communications
Posted: July 4, 2013
Job Title: Associate, Online Communications
Company Name: MaRS Discovery District
Position Type: Contract
Location: ON - Metro Toronto
Application Deadline: 2013-07-17
The Associate, Online Communications assists in online content management, marketing and promotions. This one-year contract position supports the Communications team and staff program leads at MaRS.
Key Job Responsibilities
(a) Web content updates and testing – Work in partnership with the Manager, Communications and the Senior Manager, Digital Initiatives to create web pages using a WordPress content management system, adding either new or updated content, including graphics and video embeds. Test updated and new web pages to ensure they meet corporate standards, report detailed bugs and verify fixes before pushing pages live. Web content updates may also involve the selection and optimization of images.
(b) Events – Work in partnership with the Manager, Communications and the Manager, Special Events, to provide marketing, information/communications support related to MaRS event series, as well as various events such as news conferences, symposia, receptions, etc.
These duties include but are not limited to:
- Working with the staff event leads to post event information (e.g., program agendas, speaker bios, photos, etc.) relevant to an event or series on the website.
- Under direction of the staff event lead, creating, testing and sending HTML and text email invitations and event reminders.
- Managing all aspects of the web-based registration process (e.g., creating the Eventbrite page).
- Working closely with the Manager, Special Events and staff event leads to distribute online marketing surveys after events, as appropriate
- Working with event leads, the Senior Manager, Digital Initiatives and event managers to ensure that post-event materials, resources and videos are uploaded to event webpages.
Manage the contact database, Salesforce, including data entry and maintenance, and creating tailored lists of key contacts for targeted email campaigns.
Produce performance reports for use by the communications team and internal clients, using Google Analytics and email software reporting tools (Vertical Response and MailChimp).
Working closely with the Manager, Communications, send email tests, manage edits to them and distribute mass electronic communications through MailChimp or Vertical Response. Manage the unsubscribed contacts to ensure the integrity of distribution lists.
All staff and management within MaRS Discovery District, but particularly with the Manager, Communications; Senior Manager, Digital Initiatives; Manager, Special Events and practice leads.
- Staff and volunteers in partner institutions related to event registration, marketing, advertising and promotions
- General public
- Businesses, marketing/advertising companies
- University degree or college diploma/certificate, with a focus on web production preferred
- 1-3 years experience in web editing
- Basic HTML skills required
- QA knowledge and experience required (website functionality testing and bug reporting)
- Basic image editing skills required
- Basic knowledge of XML preferred
- Basic knowledge of social media management tools (i.e., HootSuite)
- High attention to detail required
- Exceptional organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects with tightly prescribed timelines; an understanding of project management, collaboration and scheduling software
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to learn and use software programs, online applications (i.e., Vertical Response, Salesforce.com, MailChimp, SurveyMonkey, WordPress, Eventbrite), and online tools (Flickr, SlideShare, Vimeo, YouTube, etc.)
- Strong time and project management skills essential
- Highly developed communication skills (both written and verbal) required
- Takes action independently or in conjunction with others, as appropriate
- Problem-solving – can juggle multiple projects and conflicting priorities with ease
- Extremely discreet, superior judgment and strong interpersonal skills essential
- Highly attentive to detail
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, but also collaboratively with senior administrative staff and partner institutions
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Can anticipate requirements – thinks three steps ahead
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should forward their resume and coverletter to email@example.com.