Chief Financial Officer, MaRS Innovation
Posted: October 29, 2013
Job Title: Chief Financial Officer, MaRS Innovation
Company Name: MaRS Innovation
Position Type: Full-time
Location: ON - Metro Toronto
Application Deadline: 2013-11-29
In conjunction with the CEO, establishes and executes financial strategies and plans to ensure the financial well being of the organization. As a member of the MaRS Innovation senior team, contributes to the creation of corporate strategic policy, which includes tactical implementation in areas of direct responsibility.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Provides strategic accounting expertise. Ensures sound accounting and reporting policies and practices in accordance with accounting standards. Provides board and management reporting, infrastructure development, analysis and feedback. Implements financial controls for MaRS Innovation’s policies, practices and guidelines, particularly in areas of security, risk and contract management, and procurement. Determines strategic application of acceptable accounting standards.
- Accountable to the boards for driving the annual audit plan and process including working with the auditors, addressing their concerns and findings, and ensuring that the company is in compliance with all aspects of regulations.
- Drives contract administration by overseeing purchase order process, invoice preparation and contract negotiation, management and renewal. Actively leads procurement process, contract quote coordination and inputs to resource planning. As needed, may oversee the Request for Proposal and Vendor contract processes. Ensures compliance with government regulations.
- Directs and oversees the corporate budget planning process, and develops models, oversees the creation of forms and documentation, advises managers in budget preparation and conservation, providing consultative advice and recommendations to members of the senior team. Provides leadership for staff in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual forecasts.
- Directs and oversees the monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting process for senior management team, boards and external stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Directs and oversees the corporate metrics process, and develops models, oversees the creation of forms and documentation, advises managers in metrics preparation and providing consultative advice and recommendations to members of the senior team. Provides leadership for staff in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual metrics reports.
- Responsible for ensuring that all applicable governmental reporting is accurate and timely. Works with unit heads to ensure government contractual obligations and submissions of requests for funding are all met in a timely fashion. Interacts with governmental staff to resolve issues relating to contracts, billing, and NCE-CECR and other reporting.
- Assists the CEO with strategic financial issues revolving around investments, out licensing opportunities and monetization of member assets.
- Vice Presidents
- Intellectual Property Officer
- Intellectual Property Administrator
- Board of Directors
- Member Institutions
- Vendors and suppliers
- Other corporations within identified sectors
- Consultants, professional services firms and industry networks
- Government Agencies- Canada Revenue Agency, NCE-CECR
- Ministry of Research and Innovation,
- Ontario Centre of Excellence
- Other stakeholders in the provincial and federal government
- University degree with accounting designation (CA) and 10+ years financial expertise
- Deep knowledge of the practice of accounting, understanding of professional services firms and related disciplines gained through 10 years in related industry and/or senior role
- Strong working knowledge of Windows (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). Strong Internet and email skills
- Strong financial skills and knowledge of budget management
- Aware of current management practices and internal corporate policies and can apply to business issues
- Can adapt strategic directives into specific action plans to achieve objectives
- Multi-disciplinary knowledge and solid understanding of general business, external business and economic factors which affect the Company
- Must have general management skills and be able to contribute, and manage cross-functionally
- Exceptional service orientation, and possesses strong interpersonal skills
- Creative problem solver, able to react quickly and multi task
- Can operate equally well in strategic and tactical mode; ability to translate strategic direction into well defined operational plans
- Strong oral, written, and presentation communication skills
- Extreme attention to detail and quality
- Able to function effectively under pressure, flexible
- Able to negotiate successfully and sell ideas
- Able to effectively manage staff
- Enthusiastic and willing to expand on responsibilities and professional abilities
- Committed to provide new ideas and processes to assist in the company’s efficiency and growth
- Excellent business sense
- Ability to coach, mentor and motivate to obtain excellence in results
- Natural leader
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.