Ontario Genomics Institute
Posted: June 27, 2013
Job Title: Director, Finance
Company Name: Ontario Genomics Institute
Position Type: Full-time
Location: ON - Metro Toronto
Application Deadline: 2013-07-12
Category: Executive, Finance
The Ontario Genomics Institute (OGI) is a private, not-for-profit corporation using world-class research to create strategic genomics resources and accelerate Ontario’s development of a globally-competitive life sciences sector. Through its relationship with Genome Canada, the Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation and the Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Employment, and other private and public sector partners, OGI:
- attracts and supports investment in genomics research across a number of Ontario research institutions through its research program management;
- accelerates the impact of genomics resources created through its business development activities;
- increases the understanding of genomics and its social impact through its outreach activities; and
- supports its staff and a framework reflecting high standards of governance and accountability through its operational activities.
We work closely with research scientists and, more generally, the life sciences industry as well as public and private funding sources at the leading edge of harnessing genomics to transform what we know about nature and to catalyze the application of that knowledge to the benefit of society.
Mission Statement: ‘The Ontario Genomics Institute will be and will be seen to be a major driver and catalyst in developing a life sciences industry in health, agriculture and the environment.
Position: Director, Finance
Reports to: President & CEO
Functional Area: Operations
Position description: Oversees OGI’s portfolio in finance, and is also involved with administration, IT and risk management.
- Oversight of OGI’s finances, including:
- Development, implementation and maintenance of internal controls over the accounting and financial reporting process
- Managing the annual budget cycle and monitoring performance against budget
- Monitoring the compliance of funded research projects with the financial terms of the agreement
- Providing guidance to the business development team in relation to the management of investments
- Preparation and review of the quarterly and annual financial statements for the Board of Directors and other stakeholders
- Compliance with tax requirements
- Management of relationships with internal and external auditors; risk management functions and related responsibilities.
- Development, implementation and maintenance of policies, processes and systems that support the overall corporation, including:
- information technology (procurement of equipment and services, managing the service level to the organization)
- administration (knowledge management, compliance reporting for funding agencies and the OGI Board of Directors)
- contract management
- Cultivate and maintain productive communications with key stakeholders, including: funding sources at Genome Canada and the Government of Ontario; CFOs at Genome Canada and other affiliated genome centres; and financial officers for institutions receiving funding from OGI.
- Formally reviews progress with the President & CEO on a quarterly basis.
Required Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Professional Accounting Designation (CA/CGA/CMA)
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Solid understanding of financial system processes and databases.
- Experience in risk management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills; team orientation
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, results-oriented, dynamic environment
- Facility with MS Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) and Outlook (e-mail, calendar)
- Additional, Desired Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with the research community and research funding environment in Canada and internationally
- Familiarity with life sciences technologies
How to Apply:
Please apply via email to Careers@OntarioGenomics.ca
- A cover letter explaining how your experience equips you to carry the role and responsibilities described above. The letter must also contain your salary expectations.
No telephone calls please. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.