Head of Software Engineering (CTO)
Wednesday, October 30
Who We Are
Plendify is seeking to be the #1 lender of choice for businesses in Africa. Our mission is to create stable employment, stable communities and prosperous nations in Africa by providing businesses access to working capital.
Your Mission as Head of Software Engineering (CTO) will be to build world-class technologies and continuously optimize our mobile application to ensure scalability and robustness to support significant growth over the coming decade. To build a team of other “A” players who will be groomed to replicate the Software Engineering and Technology successes of the company.
- Lead, coach, support, and inspire the development team to create innovative products and features, deliver new capabilities, and build scalable and reliable back-end systems
- Own the recruitment strategy for the development team, focusing on leadership to scale our global development capabilities
- Partner with the CEO to define development organization standards, goals, and growth strategy to align with company objectives and values to align technology strategy to support business objectives
- Partner with other leaders to evolve technology and product strategy
- Create or review high-level architectural designs
- Evaluate technical feasibility of solutions and identify implementation barriers
- Support Senior Development and Product Leads to create and manage delivery plans
- Establish priorities, and set clear direction, timelines, and standards
- Create, optimize, and implement efficient processes to enable high-quality product delivery and predictability
- Develop strategic partnerships by participating in events, conferences, etc
- Confidently resolve escalations that impact the technical and product roadmap
Requirements and Qualifications:
- 10+ years of experience in software development
- 2+ years of managerial experience
- Proficiency in various flavours of the SQL language, most importantly MS SQL Server
- Strong skillset in advanced SQL techniques
- Experience implementing indexing strategies to improve query performance
- Experience with multiple data platforms such as traditional RDBMS, Hadoop/Hive, MongoDB, etc
- OOP experience, preferably in various programming languages, Ruby, PHP etc.
- Experience with PCI – Compliance setup, OAuth and Microservices architecture
- Experience writing efficient queries against large databases (100+ million row tables)
- Ability to design and develop complex algorithms
- Experience developing and/or utilizing web APIs
- Open and enthusiastic to learning and exploring new technologies (and respectful of all technologies)
- Strong documentation skills
- Able to work independently with minimal guidance and produce high-quality results
Nice to haves:
- Previous experience building and/or scaling an enterprise technology company from zero to 1 million users
- Experience in the financial services and technology (fintech) industries
- Leadership experience
- Unique entrepreneurial environment. We’re a start-up company, where we have a lot of fun and work extremely hard to provide our clients with a fantastic experience.
- We’re making a real difference in the financial lives of small and medium-sized businesses — the work we do matters.
- Dress code we don’t have one. (Flip flops, shorts, jeans whatever you please – except when meeting clients or business partners.)
- We don’t keep track of how many paid vacation days you take. (We ask that you treat this business as you would your own!)
- Honesty / Integrity
- Attention to Detail
Excellent Value Add Competencies
- Ability to develop people
- Flexibility / Adaptability
- Calm under pressure
- Strategic Thinking / Visioning
- Creativity / Innovation
- Technology Savvy
- Strong Work Ethic
- High Standards
- Listening Skills
- Openness to Ideas and Feedback
- Excellent Communication
Our Cultural Competencies: All potential hires must have a secure cultural fit to be hired.
- Respect – for self and others
- Empathy – to support and care of our clients
- Integrity – to do what is right 100% of the time
- Transparency – to be open, curious and inviting
- Excellence – always pushing the envelope
Plendify is an Equal Opportunity Employer And All Qualified Applicants Will Receive Consideration For Employment Without Regard to Race, Color, Religion, Sex, National Origin, Disability Status, Protected Veteran Status, Or Any Other Characteristic Protected by Law.
Please attach resume and cover letter.