Intern, Platform and Projects
MaRS Social Venture Exchange
Tuesday, April 30
Student Work Placement Program
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Student Work Placement program (SWP), which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
SVX is an impact investing platform connecting social ventures and funds with impact investors looking for social or environmental returns alongside financial returns. We work across sectors including cleantech, health, education, food, and social inclusion, providing capital raising support to issuers from across Canada. We support all investors, from foundations and family offices to everyday investors, to help them find opportunities and support their decision- making efforts so they can match their money with meaning.
SVX is a not-for-profit entity, incorporated in Canada. SVX is registered as an Exempt Market Dealer (EMD) with Securities Commissions in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a versatile individual who is looking to dive into Canada’s burgeoning social innovation and impact investing ecosystem. We are looking for a team member who is passionate about the ability for ventures to create outsized social and/ or environmental impact through both their product or service offerings, as well as how they run their business. You are interested in working with a team that is an impact investing market builder.
You have a positive outlook and are smart, curious, energetic and engaged in the world around you. You are independent, but also collaborate well in a team. You’re are keen to learn and adapt to a fast-paced environment, and also possess the ability to execute well.
The Intern will primarily be responsible for technical support and platform management assistance on the platform and technology support systems for SVX. You will identify and work with partners and team members to support intake and due diligence for prospective SVX issuers. The review process includes document collection, financial analysis, risk assessment, background checks, and impact review. The Intern will also be a key resource to both investors and issuers on the platform, from sign-up to transaction support. The SVX also works with partners on a number of projects that are concurrently supporting market development for impact investing. This includes consulting and research projects for procurement and investment readiness.
You will be responsible for the following activities and deliverables:
- Develop and input campaign profiles on the SVX platform in collaboration with team members and issuers;
- Support SVX platform development and maintenance;
- Receive and respond to client requests and inquiries;
- Manage venture and investor client database including maintenance of necessary documentation for and from clients;
- Support venture intake and due diligence including the initial and ongoing Know Your Product (KYP) requirements for all SVX issuers. KYP requires document collection, financial analysis, risk analysis, background checks, impact analysis, and analysis of impact investment offerings;
- Manage client information including initial and ongoing Know Your Client (KYC) documentation and reviews for individual investors, including accredited, eligible, and non-accredited investors;
- Support SVX projects and research initiatives; and
- Attend weekly team meetings, meet bi-weekly with project supervisors, and participate in team strategy retreat(s).
- Enrolled in a Post-secondary degree program, including Business Technology Management (BTM), Computer Science, Computer Systems Technology, Computer Engineering or similar program at an undergraduate or graduate level;
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written);
- You are a self-starter with personal accountability and a dedication to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives;
- Flexibility and adaptability to seize new opportunities and change existing programs to further meet and exceed clients’ needs;
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills: ability to manage details and organize processes without losing sight of the big picture;
- Enthusiasm about impact investing and social finance;
- Having entrepreneurial experience is an asset;
- One (1) year business experience in a similar role preferred but not required;
- Understanding of early stage investing and the exempt market is an asset; and
- Strong capabilities in MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel.Working conditions
General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday. The SVX team is a small but mighty group of individuals passionate about driving impact into all investments. We work with a deeply diverse portfolio of entrepreneurs, an engaged at excited set of investors, and a collaborative and supportive team. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building diversity in our team.
This is a full-time, paid internship opportunity for a period of 16 weeks.