Position Role: Support
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Toronto
Application Deadline: 2018-07-27
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) Program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
Are you excited about supporting companies who are driving social or environmental benefit in the world? Do you feel that our investments can actually make the world a better place while generating positive returns?
SVX is an impact investing platform connecting social ventures and funds with impact investors looking for social or environmental returns alongside financial returns. We work across sectors including cleantech, health, education, food, and social inclusion, providing capital raising support to issuers from across Canada. We support all investors, from foundations and family offices to everyday investors, to help them find opportunities and support their decision-making efforts so they can match their money with meaning. SVX is a not-for-profit entity, incorporated in Canada. SVX is registered as an Exempt Market Dealer (EMD) with the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) and Autorité des Marché Financier (AMF); however, no securities regulatory authority has approved or expressed an opinion about the securities offered on this platform.
Purpose & overview of position
You are primarily responsible for supporting current and prospective ventures, funds and organizations and their investment offerings for the SVX platform.
You will identify and work with partners and team members to recruit prospects and support intake and due diligence for prospective SVX issuers. The review process includes document collection, financial analysis, risk assessment, background checks, and impact review. The Analyst Intern will also be a key resources to both investors and issuers interested in learning more about the SVX platform and how they can sign-up.
This position is based at the MaRS Discovery District in Toronto. There may be travel to project partner locations for meetings and events.
You will be responsible for the following activities and deliverables:
- Venture and fund review (50%)
- Work with pipeline partners and SVX team members to recruit quality ventures;
- Support venture intake and due diligence including the initial and ongoing Know Your Product (KYP) requirements for all SVX issuers. KYP requires document collection, financial analysis, risk analysis, background checks, impact analysis, and analysis of impact investment offerings.
- Investor client management and analysis (20%)
- Build and maintain knowledge of the SVX venture offerings, keep up-to-date knowledge on regulatory requirements and industry environment;
- Manage client information including initial and ongoing Know Your Client (KYC) documentation and reviews for individual investors, including accredited, eligible, and non-accredited investors;
- Support suitability for investors to ensure transactions align with the investor profile and Canadian regulatory requirements;
- Receive and respond to client requests and inquiries; and
- Act as a Dealing Representative for our in-house Exempt Market Dealer (EMD), MaRS VX.
- Reporting and tracking (20%)
- Manage venture and investor client database including maintenance of necessary documentation for and from clients.
- Other (10%)
- Help to coordinate investor webinars and events including pitch events, networking events, and investor events;
- Attend team meetings, meet bi-weekly with project supervisors, meet regularly with MaRS venture associates and attend MaRS-wide staff meetings (quarterly); and
- Contribute to the strategy and vision for MaRS VX.
- Enrolled in a Post-secondary degree program;
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written);
- You are a self-starter with personal accountability and a dedication to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives;
- Flexibility and adaptability to seize new opportunities and change existing programs to further meet and exceed clients’ needs;
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills: ability to manage details and organize processes without losing sight of the big picture;
- Having entrepreneurial experience is an asset
- Two (2) years business experience in a similar role preferred but not required;
- Understanding of early stage investing and the exempt market is an asset; and
- Strong capabilities in MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday. The SVX team is a small but mighty group of individuals passionate about driving impact into all investments. We work with a deeply diverse portfolio of entrepreneurs, an engaged at excited set of investors, and a collaborative and supportive team. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building diversity in our team.
The interview process will include an initial phone interview, a brief homework assignment and 1-2 in person interviews.
Position Start Date: September 2018
Position End Date: December 2018
How to Apply: