Position Role: Development
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Toronto
Application Deadline: 2018-03-29
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Student Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) Program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
Android Developer (multiple opportunities)
Position Start Date: May 1, 2018
Position End Date: August 31, 2018
Trainer+ is a fitness management tool for gyms and trainers that changes how they deliver personal training through technology. The web and mobile platform closes the feedback loop between trainers and their clients around all of the relevant fitness information, creating new ways for fitness support to be delivered both in-person and online. This not only creates new services within fitness, but helps organizations extend their fitness services into new extended healthcare markets.
As a growing tech company, the learning opportunity at Trainer Plus is one to work in a fast paced, agile environment, where students will be asked to own an area of responsibility, but also contribute in other areas where needed. Students will have an opportunity to learn modern product development operations, how to manage their responsibilities with team tools, how to contribute and communicate in a team project, demonstrating work, product testing and user support. Given the nature of our software, students will also have an opportunity to learn about the fitness industry and work with a trainer on their own fitness program.
Students will be working on the Trainer+ Enterprise platform, a version of our software aimed at fitness and healthcare organizations and gyms. It consists of multiple mobile apps and a web app, along with exercise content and a website to support.
The work will be focused on further developing the web and mobile platform and corresponding sales/conversion activities needed in customer support.
This position is focused on supporting the Android (Java) development for Trainer+. This includes work on both the Trainer+ and ExerGuide mobile apps, along with other custom white label apps made for customers. We are looking for students who have some previous experience working in technical teams in a corporate setting, and can also work independently without supervision. We are a new startup firm with an aggressive plan for growth. We need not just a co-op student, but also a team member who can own their area of responsibility while working with other experienced developers. Our ideal candidate is someone who can contribute to the mobile development project right away and evolve into a full-time role on the development team as our company grows.
- Post-graduate diploma in web or mobile development/engineering
- Previous experience working as part of a development team
- Intermediate level of coding skills (Pass a technical test, object-oriented programming, experience with MVC)
- Good understanding of Java and Android Studio
- Experience developing mobile (Android) applications
- Experience with RESTful webservices
- Familiarity with UI/UX and product/user testing
- Knowledge of version control, Github and project collaboration
- Some experience with Photoshop, Illustrator and/or Sketch
- Understanding of Ajax, Bootstrap, MVC frameworks (React Native) or experience with Bitbucket a bonus
- Experience working in agile environments
- Confident in learning new things and tenacious at solving problems
- A solid communicator willing to share what you’re doing and get input from others
- Able to continuously re-prioritize and adapt to change
- Previous web application or website development a bonus
How to Apply: