Position Role: Development
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Toronto
Application Deadline: 2018-07-27
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) Program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
Position Start Date: September 10, 2018
Position End Date: December 21, 2018
At Beyond Media, our purpose is to help make brick and mortar places more discoverable for people using immersive media. As an organization, we focus on virtual reality projects that improve conversion from digital channels for brick and mortar businesses. We build and launch 360° experiences to customers in education, health & wellness, hospitality and lodging, retail and dining. Earlier this year we launched a Software-as-a-Service product for building best-in-class virtual tour experiences that drive visitor engagement. Currently our focus is on go-to-market activities, and work is underway on 20 projects within our target industry sectors. The results we’re seeing on these projects is substantially higher user engagement with content, and stronger conversion metrics.
This is a unique opportunity to join an early stage startup with a team of creative and passionate individuals looking to make an impact on the digital marketing landscape. We’re an early stage startup working in the virtual reality space, and we use our product + expertise to help our customers convey their stories in a compelling way. Our customers depend on us to lead the creative process and provide suggestions that will engage the end user, by using new media technologies and approaches.
What can students expect in the workplace?
- Our values: empowerment, growth, and innovation.
- Our skills: we’re complete geeks when it comes to 360° content production and web design. We stop at nothing to craft memorable user experiences.
- Your input matters: everyone has a voice that is respected. We appreciate new ways of doing things, and new approaches to solving problems.
- Our team: experienced sales and marketing entrepreneurs, full stack developers, designers and content producers, who are enthusiastic about their craft and like to spread the knowledge.
This is a unique opportunity to join an early stage startup with a team of creative and passionate individuals looking to make an impact on the digital marketing landscape. This role is core to our product. Your focus will be development of all client-side logic and user interfaces, and you’ll be an integral part of shaping the user experience.
What you’ll be doing:
- Implementation of front-end logic and interfaces with consideration for both performance and user needs
- Integration of user-facing elements with server-side APIs
- Building reusable code, libraries and documentation for future use for efficient development
- Optimization of the application for maximum speed and scalability, and to ensure a performant session that minimizes bounces caused by loading delays
- Building an engaging user experience with coherent styling and markup
- Studying Computer Science, Web Development
- Experience and/or education in technology, web development
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Full awareness of how to approach and develop for known browser and web issues
- Familiarity with templating for content management systems or frameworks
Demonstrated understanding of modern web development concepts
- Experience with front-end build tools such as Gulp
- Django or Wagtail exposure is an asset
- Driven to iterate, improve and enhance websites and apps to better serve and delight end users
- Self-motivated to take initiative and ownership of your work
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills when interacting with the team, partners, and customers
- Strong attention to detail, for visual design and interactivity
- Have a user-centric mindset
- Consistently up to date with the latest web development trends and best practices
- Collaborates well in a team environment
- Open to new tools and methodologies
- A portfolio that demonstrates previous work samples
How to Apply: