Position Role: Development
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Toronto
Application Deadline: 2018-11-23
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Student Work Placement program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
Peekapak is an award-winning education technology company teaching young students social and emotional skills like gratitude, empathy, respect and teamwork in the classroom and at home. Peekapak engages and empowers over 13,000 educators in 90 countries to reach over 160,000 students through original digital storybooks, quick lessons and an online game world.
Peekapak is backed by; Silicon Valley based accelerator, Imagine K12, the Edtech vertical of Y Combinator (Fast Company called YC “the world’s most powerful start-up incubator”), New Schools Venture Fund, JOLT (a Canadian accelerator within Toronto’s MaRS Discovery District) and Uncharted (formerly Unreasonable Institute, a Denver, Colorado-based incubator for companies focused on social impact).
We are looking for an entrepreneurial, motivated co-op to join our team; a team member who models the skills we aim to develop in young students and who want meaning in their work. By joining Peekapak, you will be part of a growing and fast-paced start-up with the opportunity to become a critical player in building a business from the early stages.
We’re a team of market disrupting, like-minded individuals. We all do things our own way, but we come together each and every day to create better students and global citizens– plus we have a lot of fun while we’re at it.
Enhance the myPeekaville game world, an experience that augments an existing in-class curriculum with age-appropriate games for young children, through the creating of new mini-games and new story arcs.
The Game Developer at Peekapak is responsible for understanding the over-arching learning objectives in the materials developed by Peekapak, as well as the sub-goals embedded in individual learning units, and then translating game specifications into scene design and C# scripting within the Unity development environment. They will also participate in brainstorming sessions, as well as, provide feasibility input in designing new games or enhancing existing ones for successive releases of the myPeekaville game world.
Their work will be supervised by more experienced game designers and developers, but we nonetheless expect a high degree of involvement and responsibility from the Game Developer co-op student; they will be doing work that has a direct impact on the company and customers.
Tasks will also include
- Ensuring all assets are managed optimally
- Fixing existing defects in the game
Formal training in game design and development either from a recognized College or University program
Area of study:
Undergraduate or College in Game Development and Programming
Technical Skills Required:
- Unity 2D and 3D game engine programming with scripting in C#
- Simple graphical manipulation using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign
- Version control using ‘git’ within a Unity project
- Effort estimation and project tracking using project management tools, such as Trello
Soft Skills Required:
- Attention to detail and a passion for quality
- Flexible and collaborative nature
- Self-directed and focused
- Excellent communicator and a creative problem solver
- Experience working in teams to deliver Unity projects
- Able to break down complicated tasks into discrete solvable components, prioritize what is important, and provide accurate time estimates
- An eye for visual design
- Ability to work collaboratively with artists and programmers
- An obsession with the details that can elevate an experience from ‘good enough’ to ‘great’
- Applies principles of continuous learning, peer mentoring, and embraces feedback
How to Apply: