Position Role: Development
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Toronto
Application Deadline: 2018-08-02
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) Program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
Startuptive is a startup space, which focuses on revamping or innovating current day businesses and consumer operations and technologies, to make them future ready. Startuptive does this by bringing together talent and resources who share similar synergies to co-develop.
Engineering Design & Implementation
The ED&I team works on designing and building software and/or hardware technologies. As a team member, you are at the forefront of using your technical skills in a real business environment, where you will need to understand the strategy, and then execute on it through practical means in respect to your technical skills.
The work is initiated with a problem faced by a business or a consumer, which requires research into the technical problem, proposed solution options, prototype or concept building, and finally executing on scaling.
The project consists of researching and designing the hardware and software architecture for IOT devices. The products will require use of WiFi module and activation via NFC and/or Bluetooth devices.
The student will learn to understand the true state of the problem that is being faced and by whom, prior to building a solution. Once understood, the student will research potential solution options, which then the student will create a feasibility study (including, design challenges, cost implications, scalability, longevity, profitability). Finally, the student will help create the initial design for prototyping and/or building the design for manufacturing/developing.
The student will be helping the senior electrical engineers on the following functions, but not limited to:
- Investigating the hardware and software architecture of IOT based devices
- Investigate the integration of WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth and other hardware components. As required, ability to troubleshoot any workings of the hardware and/or the software
- Conduct tests and experiments on the system
- Creating technical documents and diagrams
- Carefully and meticulously document findings on the technical documents and diagrams
- Basic project management
- Must have good understanding of hardware and software integration, with provable situations where programming principles have been applied to project or a “real-life” situation
- Ability to listen, observe, assess and then act
- Provide insight and ideas
- Project management and time management skills
Area of Study:
Open to college, undergrad and graduate students in Electrical engineering, computer engineering, or any equivalent engineering program
Technical Skills Required:
- Experience using C, C++, Python Java and/or C#, especially in applications involving hardware communication
- Familiarity working with circuits (especially pertaining to IoT), embedded programming, and digital signal processing
- Experience designing, developing, integrating, and diagnosing mixed hardware/software systems
- Understanding of software development methodologies and frameworks
- Hands on experience with electronic circuits and Linux OS an asset
- School projects are acceptable form of experience
Soft Skills Required:
- Reasonable communications / interpersonal skills
- Ability to listen, observer and provide practical insights
- Focused on the task
- Team spirit
How to Apply: