Position Role: Development
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Toronto
Application Deadline: 2018-11-23
Position Start Date: January 2019
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Student Work Placement program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
Loom Analytics is a data analytics software startup building SaaS based AI solutions for the legal and insurance industry.
We’re looking for a self-motivated developer with PHP and SQL experience who enjoys challenges and getting things done in a fast-paced start-up environment. Our ideal candidate cares about writing clear, readable code and can work well in a team. On a daily basis you will be working on distinct features and bugs in an already existing HTML + PHP + MySQL based web app. You will also have the opportunity to work on Natural Language Processing integration into the web app, as well as AI Machine Learning research tasks in Python.
Role and Project Description:
- Taking part in the application lifecycle, with a primary focus on coding, troubleshooting and debugging
- Developing web-standard solutions using PHP and MySQL to solve complex business problems
- Building reusable code and code libraries
- Integration of front-end and back-end development
- Optimizing existing code to improve speed and scalability
- Collaborating with other members of the team and working on multiple modules
- Documenting code on a regular basis
Given that it’s a startup environment, students can expect to learn about all aspects of the software development lifecycle. While the position’s main responsibilities are related to PHP + MySQL development, if interested, they can work on projects in Python and other machine learning languages.
- Some experience as a full-stack developer
- Solid PHP experience
- Familiarity with code versioning tools such as GIT
- Understanding of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
Not Required, But Nice to Have
- AWS experience a plus
- Familiarity with/exposure to Python and Mongo DB
- Familiarity with NLP
- Data science background
- Exposure to mobile app development
Area and Level of Study:
In the process of an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering
How to Apply: