Position Role: Development
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Toronto
Application Deadline: 2018-03-29
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Student Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) Program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
Software Developer (Multiple Opportunities)
Position Start Date: May 7th, 2018
Position End Date: August 31, 2018
Peekapak is an award-winning education technology company teaching young students social and emotional skills like gratitude, empathy, respect and teamwork in the classroom and at home. Peekapak engages and empowers over 13,000 educators in 90 countries to reach over 160,000 students through original digital storybooks, quick lessons and an online game world.
Peekapak is backed by; Silicon Valley based accelerator, Imagine K12, the Edtech vertical of Y Combinator (Fast Company called YC “the world’s most powerful start-up incubator”), New Schools Venture Fund, JOLT (a Canadian accelerator within Toronto’s MaRS Discovery District) and Uncharted (formerly Unreasonable Institute, a Denver, Colorado-based incubator for companies focused on social impact.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial, motivated co-op to join our team; a team member who models the skills we aim to develop in young students and who want meaning in their work. By joining Peekapak, you will be part of a growing and fast-paced start-up with the opportunity to become a critical player in building a business from the early stages.
We’re a team of market disrupting, like-minded individuals. We all do things our own way, but we come together each and every day to create better students and global citizens– plus we have a lot of fun while we’re at it.
The Software Developer at Peekapak is responsible for understanding the over-arching learning objectives in the materials developed by Peekapak, as well as the sub-goals embedded in individual learning units, and incorporating them into their software designs. They will collaborate with stakeholders to author requirements “stories”, provide feasibility analysis and effort estimates and project manage their own tasks within a team that utilizes “agile” software development methodologies.
Student’s work will be supervised by more experienced game designers and developers, but we nonetheless expect a high degree of involvement and responsibility from the Game Designer co-op student; they will be doing work that has a direct impact on the company and customers.
Implement feature enhancements to the Peekapak teacher platform, including:
- Designing and implementing a guided user experience to convert more free and trial users to paid subscribers
- Creating a user-friendly search module for locating relevant articles and other resources on social-emotional learning and help on implementing the curriculum, within the Peekapak site
- Implementing ongoing enhancements and bug fixes to make the platform easier to use with the aim of making the user experience a delightful one
Formal training in software design and development either from a recognized College or University program
Area of Study:
Computer science, engineering or math at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Experience using build tools
- Experience with traditional SQL-based relational databases such as MySQL, Oracle, etc.
- Exposture to NoSQL databases
- AWS or other cloud compute platform experience is an asset
- Proficiency in Java or other object-oriented language is an asset
- Attention to detail and a passion for quality
- Flexible and collaborative nature
- Self-directed and focused
- Excellent communicator and a creative problem solver
How to Apply: