Position Role: Engineering
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Conception Bay South, NL
Application Deadline: 2018-11-23
Position Start Date: January 2019
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Student Work Placement program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
Kraken Robotics Inc. is a marine technology company engaged in the design, development and marketing of advanced sensors, software and underwater robotics for Unmanned Maritime Vehicles used in military and commercial applications. We are recognized as world leading innovators of synthetic aperture sonar (SAS), a revolutionary underwater imaging technology that dramatically improves seabed surveys by providing ultra-high resolution imagery at superior coverage rates. Kraken has evolved from building world class SAS sensors to building world class underwater vehicles including tethered (KATFISH™) and autonomous (THUNDERFISH™) versions.
The student will work in the Lab – Kraken’s production department. This is the very heart of our company. The lab is where all of our products are assembled and where most of our R&D efforts take place. Student would be involved with assembly of different products, testing assembled products as well as components purchased from 3rd parties and potentially participate in sea trials. Kraken products need to operate flawlessly in water depths of up to 6000m. In order to operate successfully in this kind of environment, we put a lot of our time and effort into assembly and testing. The work is demanding but enjoyable. It will provide a learning experience like no other in Eastern Canada.
Both Kraken and the student will benefit from this placement. Kraken is a small but growing company focused on innovation and new product development. Kraken is leading the field with regards to developing the latest, cutting edge technology. The student is valuable to Kraken as they are very eager to learn, work and contribute. Kraken believes in lifelong learning and so will provide a culture that is open and encouraging of questions, hand on experience and the challenging of ideas. The student will have an amazing opportunity to learn and grow in their field. They will learn from their supervisor and their coworkers. The student will be a full-fledged member of the team with their own projects, deadlines and responsibilities.
Role and Project Description:
- Conduct testing on various Kraken products and systems and provide reports.
- Assist with sea-trials of Kraken systems.
- Follow detailed instructions to correctly assemble Kraken products.
- Make cable harnesses for various test setups.
Minimum Qualifications (Experience, technical skills, soft skills, etc.):
- The successful completion of at least 4 semesters of an Electrical Engineering Technology program
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated technical skills along with a proven track record for success.
- Experience in the design specification, installation and connection methods of electrical equipment.
- Strong written and oral communications skills (technical reporting).
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Area and Level of Study: College
How to Apply: