Position Role: Design
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Toronto
Application Deadline: 2018-07-27
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) Program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
At Beyond Media, our purpose is to help make brick and mortar places more discoverable for people using immersive media. As an organization, we focus on virtual reality projects that improve conversion from digital channels for brick and mortar businesses. We build and launch 360° experiences to customers in education, health & wellness, hospitality and lodging, retail and dining. Earlier this year we launched a Software-as-a-Service product for building best-in-class virtual tour experiences that drive visitor engagement. Currently our focus is on go-to-market activities, and work is underway on 20 projects within our target industry sectors. The results we’re seeing on these projects is substantially higher user engagement with content, and stronger conversion metrics.
This is a unique opportunity to join an early stage startup with a team of creative and passionate individuals looking to make an impact on the digital marketing landscape. We’re an early stage startup working in the virtual reality space, and we use our product + expertise to help our customers convey their stories in a compelling way. Our customers depend on us to lead the creative process and provide suggestions that will engage the end user, by using new media technologies and approaches.
What can students expect in the workplace?
- Our values: empowerment, growth, and innovation.
- Our skills: we’re complete geeks when it comes to 360° content production and web design. We stop at nothing to craft memorable user experiences.
- Your input matters: everyone has a voice that is respected. We appreciate new ways of doing things, and new approaches to solving problems.
- Our team: experienced sales and marketing entrepreneurs, full stack developers, designers and content producers, who are enthusiastic about their craft and like to spread the knowledge.
This role is core to our product. Your focus will be user research and design of new components, user research and testing, handoff to development, and deploying projects using the content management system we’ve developed in-house.
What you’ll be doing:
- Defining and coordinating digital design at a strategic level
- Working with clients to determine their requirements, understand the problem they are looking to solve, and can propose a solution of where they need to go and how to get there
- Collaborate closely with the Product owners to define and design product features
- Alignment of individual contributors in the client’s organization
- Learning and working in agile scrum methodologies
- Measuring progress and while managing communications to an executive audience
You’re excited about using immersive media formats like VR to tell stories, and want to join a team of ambitious, like-minded creators. You’re enthusiastic about design and technology and strive to explore the convergence between the physical and digital worlds. You want to have high impact, project ownership and autonomy, and have a meaningful contribution to a software product and client work. You thrive in fast-paced, collaborative environments and are able to quickly switch gears as needed
Area of Study:
- Digital Arts
- Graphic Design
Demonstrated understanding and practice in basic design workflow – user persona, requirements, wireframing, high fidelity layouts, responsive design, prototyping and user testing
Proficiency of UX design discipline – user flows, wireframes, mockups, prototypes, etc.
Proficiency with the latest design tools and software (Adobe CS, Sketch)
- Self-motivated to take initiative and ownership of your work
- Strong attention to detail, for visual design, typography, and interactivity
- Keep a user-centric mindset throughout your design process
- Consistently up to date with the latest design trends and best practices.
- Collaborates well in a team environment
- Open to new tools and methodologies
- A portfolio that demonstrates previous work samples
How to Apply: