Position Role: Research
Position Level: Internship
Position Type: Contract
Position Location: Toronto, ON
Application Deadline: 2018-07-02
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Student Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) Program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
User Interface Research Intern (Multiple Opportunities)
As a global leader in 3D design, engineering, and entertainment software, Autodesk helps people imagine, design, and create a better world. Autodesk accelerates better design through an unparalleled depth of experience and a broad portfolio of software to give customers the power to solve their design, business, and environmental challenges. In addition to designers, architects, engineers, and media and entertainment professionals, Autodesk helps students, educators, and casual creators unlock their creative ideas through user-friendly applications.
This position is an opportunity to be a key contributor to a research project that explores new innovative user interaction techniques and systems. As part of a team of researchers and designers you will contribute to the research, implementation and evaluation of prototypes and concepts.
Within the user interface research group, you and will arrive at a mutually agreed upon research project in the area of Human-Computer Interaction. Specific areas of interest for research projects include: Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, Information Visualization, Software Learning, Future of Work, Generative Design Tools, Interactive Fabrication, and User Interfaces for AI or Machine Learning Systems.
Responsibilities for the project will include:
- Support the research and design efforts by developing software prototypes
- Conduct literature reviews
- Gather requirements and issues to explore and design
- Develop algorithms
- Build prototypes to test and explore concepts
- Conduct formal controlled psychological experiments to test research ideas and hypotheses
- Measure human performance and cognition limitations related to interaction with technology
- Conduct usability studies, ethnographic studies, heuristic evaluations, task analyses, structured interviews and surveys
- Evaluate research findings and prototypes to make recommendations for impacting business and products
- Explore new prototyping frameworks and technologies
- Author a full research paper
- Produce an accompanying research video
- Present the results of your research externally and internally
- Currently enrolled in an M.Sc. or Ph.D. program in Computer Science or related field, with a specialization in Human-Computer Interaction
- Demonstrated expertise in the area of interactive learning technologies, with peer-reviewed publications on the topic in international venues
- C++/C# programming experience.
- Working experience with programming environments such as Microsoft Developer Studio and MFC.
- Experience developing software in a Windows environment
- Programming experience in C++, Flash
- Experience with programming 3D graphics, OpenGL, DirectX
- Experimental design (SAS programming) a plus.
- Adobe Photoshop a plus.
- Rapid prototyping.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team; ability to work with minimum supervision, self-driven.
- Ability to deal with requirements from multiple sources and find solutions and deal with conflicts and compromises in a diplomatic manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with other product teams.
- Ability to write clear, concise, correct technical material.
Position Start Date: September 10, 2018
Position End Date: December 21, 2018
How to Apply: