Position Role: Engineering
Position Level: Executive
Position Type: Full-time
Position Location: Toronto
Application Deadline: 2018-08-15
BlueDot is composed of an intentionally eclectic collective of scientists, mavericks, data geeks, design thinkers and do-gooders united in a singular desire to outsmart infectious disease. In today’s highly connected world the global population has become increasingly vulnerable to infectious disease and the devastating impact of an outbreak.
We create cutting-edge data analyses, technology solutions and actionable knowledge in the service of preventing, detecting, and mitigating a number of today’s most pressing global health issues. Drawing from a range of expertise – epidemiology, medicine, ecology, mathematical modeling, geospatial analytics, data science & engineering, design, and development – BlueDot applies human and machine-driven analytics to big data, generates insights from it, and translates these insights into accessible products and services.
Our HR strategy is very simple – encourage people who are passionate about making a difference in the world to join their unique skills and perspectives with a diverse team, where each member is working on the things they love to do while contributing to a cohesive and world-changing mission. “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” (Albert Schweitzer) We are successful together by uniting our team members’ unique strengths and passions.
Together we can create a healthier and safer world.
VP of Engineering
BlueDot has built its core business over the past four years serving the world’s leading Centers for Disease Control and global public health organizations such as the WHO. While we will continue to deliver advanced technology and solutions for these groups, we are simultaneously adapting our offerings for new segments where there is strong market demand. To this end, we are looking for a VP of Engineering to lead all aspects of Engineering and Technology at BlueDot as we face this pivotal moment in our growth. While this is a hands-on role and you and your team will be responsible for consistently delivering meaningful features, applications, data and technology solutions to address important health and business problems, this is also a strategic role. It requires strong partnerships with other functions across the company to translate strategic business decisions into appropriate technology solutions. You’ll refine and evolve our technology strategy so that it aligns with BlueDot’s strategic plan and both enables and influences the overall company direction.
What you’ll be doing:
- Establishing BlueDot’s technical vision and building out a cohesive strategy to deliver an array of products and services that align with our company and client needs
- Leading the evaluation of our technical landscape to ensure our technology stacks are reliable, scalable, secure and highly performant
- Overseeing the architecture of all of our technical systems to ensure our architecture is sustainable, yet flexible and scalable for future demands
- Driving cross-functional collaboration and ensuring alignment with technology, product, marketing, operations, and leadership teams
- Establishing a solid project framework and excellent development processes
- Communicating BlueDot’s technology strategy and innovations to investors, management, clients, and team
- Actively participating in code and design reviews
We are looking for someone who:
- Has the experience and ability to thrive in smaller startup-like companies
- Knows how to work agile and lean, and has a clear bias to action
- Is a hands-on, driven, and entrepreneurial technology leader who can translate business vision into technological strategy and solution delivery
- Has high competence in people leadership, cross-functional communication, influencing, negotiating, and facilitation
- Is analytical, loves problem solving, and has a keen sense for decision-making and prioritization
- Has 12+ years of development experience
- Has 8+ years of engineering management experience
- Has an awesome understanding of Web Development, Mobile Development, and Server Side Development that’s grounded in experience in application development
- Has a love for learning and stays aware of tech trends to ensure that our offerings and tech services are accessible and cutting edge
- Has extensive experience with large datasets, data pipelines and warehousing, complex ETL processes, data modeling, database design, relational and non-relational databases
- Has experience developing and maintaining processes and mechanisms to ensure data quality and consistency, especially for data across diverse sources
- Has knowledge of Geographic Information Systems and spatial data, and understands how they support analysis and visualization
- Has practical knowledge of deployment of cloud services such as AWS and Azure, as well as on-premises server architecture and the appropriate support strategies
- Has deployed APIs for both internal use and for external facing customers
- Has experience in evaluating and deploying appropriate new technologies, tools, frameworks and commercial or open source software components and can clearly articulate the reasons and trade-offs
- Has experience working with both open-source and proprietary software development environments
- Has a good understanding of the current trends in software development architectures (Microservices, APIs, distributed systems), software development languages (Java, .NET, Python, etc), and operational environments (AWS/Azure/on-premise)
- Is technology agnostic and intellectually curious
- Has a demonstrated ability to work across platforms with a strong foundation in the fundamentals of software development
- Has a BS or MS in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
Ideally, you also have:
- Knowledge of leading technologies that are relevant to BlueDot, such as Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Artificial Intelligence
- A basic understanding of modern techniques and tools for Data Science, Modeling and Analytics
- An understanding of API architecture and integration using gateways such as AWS API Gateway and Azure API Management
- Familiarity with ESRI products as much of BlueDot’s core product leverages these technologies
- Experience in the health sector
Schedule: Full-time, permanent.
Work Location: 209 Victoria St., Toronto, ON
For more information, visit: http://bluedot.global
Application Instructions: Please apply with your resume and cover letter outlining why your skills, experience, and values make you the candidate we’re looking for.
BlueDot is a Certified B Corp, which means we are certified to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. We’ve also been recognized as a Best Place to Work for Women, and a top 25 Best Workplace in the country.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. BlueDot is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
How to Apply: