Get a competitive edge: Become a storyteller
What’s your story? Marketing is all about telling great stories that resonate with your target audience.
At last week’s Entrepreneurship 101 lecture, Digital Marketing and Communications Strategist Mark Evans defined Marketing Communications. His presentation focused particularly on technology startups with limited funds available for marketing.
When it comes to marketing, you have to do it, so you want to make sure you do it right. Start by gathering the following information:
Step 1: A marketing plan gives you a sense of direction.
Step 2: Core messaging sets you apart from your competition.
Step 3: An elevator pitch tells others what you do in a snapshot.
Once you’ve decided what direction you are going to take, you are ready to begin developing the tools you will need to tell your story.
Five highly effective marketing tools
- Websites are your biggest shot at a first impression.
- Blogs are a cost-effective way to re-purpose your message.
- Videos are a fun and engaging way to communicate what your product does.
- Newsletters get your information into somebody’s inbox.
- Press releases demonstrate you are on the move.
During the lecture, Mark mentioned several examples of useful sites and blogs that can help you with marketing. Here are just a few of them: Hubspot, KISSmetrics, Freshbooks and Pinterest. For more ideas, watch the lecture video.
Mark’s final thoughts on marketing: use your own success as a starting point to a really great story.
Are you ready to write your story? Watch this Quick Hits video to get started:
To watch the entire lecture, click here.
You can find Mark’s blog here. Also, check out his slides below for additional resources.
- Speaker slides: Marketing Communications for Startups
- Article: Market Communications in the early market
- Workbook: Marketing Communications
- Video: Smart social media for small businesses
- Video: Connecting with the Media – Six Hot Tips for Startups
Want to connect?
- Join the LinkedIn Group
- Follow the conversation on Twitter: #ent101
- Get updates on Vimeo
- Download the course schedule
Watch our live webcasts here.
Next week’s lecture: Lived it Lecture – Dorothy Engelman
- The seven-step go-to-market strategy
- 7 ways to generate business ideas this year
- How to raise your own funds
- Ready to begin your entrepreneurial journey?
- Isadore Sharp on building exceptional customer service