Want to learn about investing in good deals?
We’re excited to announce the 2011 Social Finance Forum at MaRS, a two-day, intensive event featuring the latest news in social finance, as well as practical education for mobilizing capital and catalyzing new ideas.
The forum builds on the success of last year’s launch of the landmark report Mobilizing Private Capital for Public Good by the Canadian Task Force on Social Finance, an event that drew over 300 attendees, and acted as a call to action for all to consider the role of capital markets in creating not only economic value, but also social and environmental sustainability in our society.
With the anniversary of this publication as the backdrop, we invite you to join leaders from across the country on December 13–14 to drive the development of Canada’s impact investing marketplace and learn what it means to invest in good deals.
December 13 highlights
- Cocktail reception followed by a discussion on the advancements made in the past year and what remains to be done to expand social finance in Canada.
- Antony Bugg-Levine, CEO of the Nonprofit Finance Fund (NFF), will explore the potential of impact investing during his keynote address.
- Canadian launch of Antony Bugg-Levine’s groundbreaking book, Impact Investing: Transforming How We Make Money While Making a Difference. Attendees can pick up their free copy of the book at the reception (while quantities last) and have it signed.
December 14 highlights
- Under the theme Investing in Good Deals, the agenda brings together inspirational social ventures, innovative impact investors and aspiring mainstream practitioners. Organized by the team at the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing, the aim is to provide practical education, mobilize capital and catalyze new ideas.
- Antony Bugg-Levine, CEO, Nonprofit Finance Fund (NFF)
- Stanley Hartt, Chairman, Macquarie Capital Markets Canada
- Nancy Neamtan, President & Executive Director, Chantier de l’économie sociale
- Amit Bouri, Director of Strategy & Development, Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN)
- Stephen Huddart, President & CEO, J.W. McConnell Family Foundation
- Bill Young, Founder, Social Capital Partners (SCP)
- Jonathan Jenkins, CEO, The Social Investment Business, UK
- Good Deals: Pitch Clinic and Pitch Presentation―MaRS has partnered with Good Deals UK, a leading impact investing conference, to help get good deals done. In the Pitch Clinic (pre-registration required), a team of expert entrepreneurs and investors help social ventures become deal-ready. A handful of ventures will be selected to present at the conference-wide Pitch Presentation.
- Closed pitch session ― for accredited investors only ― High potential social ventures and funds seeking debt and/or equity investment capital will pitch to local impact investors.
- Beans & Bonds: Case Study of Planet Bean Coffee and the CSI Community Bond
- Idea Jam: A Networking + Problem Solving Session with Leaders in Impact Investing
- For Good Measure: Understanding Impact Metrics for Your Enterprise
- Generation: Bridging the Investment Gap for Renewable Energy
- Insiders Guide: What Investors Want
Register early to take advantage of bursaries available for social ventures and non-profit organizations.
Looking forward to seeing you in mid-December!
Alex is the Project Manager for the 2011 Social Finance Forum happening at MaRS. She is also a Chartered Accountant and recently led the expansion of community micro-lending projects in the GTA through her work at ACCESS Community Capital Fund. See more…