Our startups develop solutions in areas such as:
Software that augments decision-making and automates back office processes.
Tools that enable everyday work and enhance employee experience.
Platforms and software that improve security, maximize data, enable AI/ML capability and support cloud management.
Sales and marketing
Technologies that enable sales and personalized customer experiences, and grow brand profile.
Novel learning platforms to inform, educate and reward employees.
Solutions that help businesses attract, hire and retain top talent.
The MaRS Enterprise ecosystem consists of entrepreneurs, investors, corporate executives, policy makers and leading technical experts.
Our range of high-value offerings help global businesses grow and succeed.
Executive in Residence
Scale-up experience: CEO of Argus Software
- Scaled to $60M ARR/$15M EBIT
- >80,000 customers in nine countries with 40,000 SMB users
- Transitioned company to SaaS model
- Company in turn-around; stabilized and refocused business to supporting 2.4M daily travelers
- Launched an innovative customer experience
- Ranked Wall Street analyst, Managing Director RBC Capital Markets. Covered B2B, B2B2C and other tech companies
- President, Rogers New Media
- BS/MS Engineering MIT; MBA from Harvard
- Creative Destruction Lab Mentor
- Optimizing your value proposition, demand generation and product value pricing strategies
- Positioning your company for success in public markets and late-stage financing, including understanding and managing investor and board stakeholder perspectives
Executive in Residence
- CEO of TransGaming (now FinDev, TSX-V: FDI), a leading digital media company Previously served as CFO/COO
- Took company public via RTO and raised over $25M
- Through strategic M&A acquired key talent and titles/brands to become first cloud-based games provider in cable TV segment
- CFO of Viron Therapeutics
- Raised US$20M Series B including venture and strategic investors
- Directly involved in over $500M of financing and M&A transactions in the past 10 years
- Past-CEO of Equation Angels, Canada's second largest Angel network, whose model he helped architect in 2017
- Investor and Past-Chair of the Board of Sensory Technologies, a health-tech venture
- Chartered Business Valuator
- Strategic Planning
- Inorganic growth / M&A
- Pitching for capital
SVP, Marketing, Business Development and Growth
Mark Hyland is SVP of Marketing, Business Development & Growth, where he is responsible for marketing & communications, content development, product strategy & lead generation and business development. Since 2019, Mark has been advising ventures as an Executive-in-residence, and most recently leading Business Development at MaRS. Mark is an operator, entrepreneur and investor who specializes in starting and scaling businesses. He has over 25 years’ experience in tech and media, including more than 11 years as a sales and marketing executive at Quickplay. Mark is known for driving international expansion and streamlining sales processes. As an investor, he is the general partner for High Park Angels, a fund for early-stage B2B startups. Mark’s early work experience includes a number of firsts: launching web-based advertising in Canada at Shift magazine, expanding the web presence and digital video syndication strategy at CBC, and forging several cross-media interactive TV experiences for programs like Hockey Night in Canada, and social media pioneer ZeD. Mark holds undergraduate degrees from McGill University and Dalhousie University, and an MBA from the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto.
Senior Advisor, MaRS Enterprise
An entrepreneur angel investor, Jenny brings vast experience to the Enterprise team. Prior to joining MaRS, she was co-founder and CEO of Aida (acquired by Vision Critical) and Metafor Software (acquired by Splunk). Jenny also worked for BDC Capital where she led investments in technology startups, and was a consultant with both the Boston Consulting Group and Bain & Company. Jenny holds a bachelor of applied science in electrical engineering from the University of British Columbia and an MBA from INSEAD.