What you get
1:1 expert advisory on topics including:
Investment material support
Introductions to investors
Board governance management
Data-driven diagnostic and insight tools
Access to a curated peer community
PR and media opportunities
Recruitment criteria and application process
Who you are:
Company is incorporated in Canada
Keen to engage with expert advisors and peers
In the process of raising or planning a Seed or Series A raise in the next 6-12 months
To see if you qualify for MaRS, apply now.
What commitment is expected of me and my team?
Based on your company’s level of commitment, MaRS will develop a service delivery plan tailored to your priorities.
Is there a cost associated with the program?
There is no fee.
What is the timeline of the program?
This is not a cohort-based program, we work with you based on your priorities and timeline.
Who is eligible?
- Your company is incorporated in Canada.
- Your company has developed an innovative technology.
- Your company is in one of the four sectors MaRS supports: cleantech, health, fintech or enterprise software.
- Currently raising or planning your Seed or Series A.
- You have evidence of traction beyond early customers.
- Access expert advisory support.
- Join a community of like-minded peers and connect with innovative business leaders, investors and more.
- Access peer-to-peer learning experiences, workshops and roundtable discussions with others in the MaRS ecosystem.
- Elevate your company’s brand through media opportunities.
Krista has been the driving force behind the creation of Momentum, a MaRS program helping scaling Canadian companies reach $100 million in revenue by 2024. Krista has been a passionate innovator and builder of technology-based businesses for over 30 years. She has spent her career working in and advising over 200 organizations, including public companies, high-growth firms and startups. Krista is an engineer, entrepreneur, mentor and expert problem solver. She has a unique combination of strategic, technical, operational and marketing expertise. And she is known for her comprehensive knowledge of the existing and emerging enterprise tech stack (architectures, technologies) and commercialization practices. Her greatest joys come from working with and learning from diverse, talented and ambitious people, as well as being a mother to three amazing young adults.
Executive in Residence
- CEO of TransGaming (now FinDev, TSX-V: FDI), a leading digital media company Previously served as CFO/COO
- Took company public via RTO and raised over $25M
- Through strategic M&A acquired key talent and titles/brands to become first cloud-based games provider in cable TV segment
- CFO of Viron Therapeutics
- Raised US$20M Series B including venture and strategic investors
- Directly involved in over $500M of financing and M&A transactions in the past 10 years
- Past-CEO of Equation Angels, Canada's second largest Angel network, whose model he helped architect in 2017
- Investor and Past-Chair of the Board of Sensory Technologies, a health-tech venture
- Chartered Business Valuator
- Strategic Planning
- Inorganic growth / M&A
- Pitching for capital
Program Director, National Programs
Asvini leads projects focused on the implementation of strategic priorities across the MaRS Venture Services team. Most recently, she’s helped run the Women in Cleantech Challenge, a joint collaboration between MaRS and Natural Resources Canada. The goal of the challenge is to identify and empower top female innovators from across the country who are developing technologies to tackle the world’s most daunting environmental challenges. Prior to joining MaRS, Asvini worked at Oracle Canada where she headed projects that introduced customized software solutions to improve operational efficiency and client management processes. Before that, Asvini worked at a boutique consulting firm where she helped clients develop their learning and development strategy. Asvini has an MBA from the Schulich School of Business, York University, and a B.A. in economics from the University of British Columbia.
Client Engagement Manager
Farzin leads MaRS' Intensive Capital Program for Seed and Series A startups improving the odds of success for Canada's highest potential ventures. She works across cleantech, health, digital and emerging technologies, helping ventures navigate their fundraising strategy and investor readiness. Prior to MaRS, Farzin rose up the ranks at RS Energy Group, an energy analytics SaaS scale-up, which was acquired by US-owned Enverus for $1 billion. From roles in investment research to customer success and product management, Farzin married her data-driven nature with delivering customer-centric technology solutions. Before that, she worked at Suncor Energy and Imperial Oil after graduating from the University of Calgary's Mechanical Engineering program.
Executive in Residence
Scale-up Experience: Head of Drug Development at Allelix Biopharmaceuticals
- Successful product development partnership with multinational Pharma
- Team member raising venture capital financing and eventual IPO
- Early-stage research through to clinical development
- Growth of drug development programs from 10 staff to over 200.
- Successful regulatory approval and marketing authorization
- Founder of Advanced Regenerative Medicine and Tissue Engineering Consortium - industry-academic partnership
- Integrated multi-site contract manufacturing and clinical development facilities
- Biotech strategic partnerships
- Therapeutics product development strategies
- VC interactions and financing
- Product licensing (in-/out)
Senior Advisor, Cleantech
Rick is a leader in the Canadian cleantech sector, a serial entrepreneur, and angel investor. He serves as a Senior Advisor to the cleantech sector at MaRS Discovery District. Rick is also a Director of Aclarus Ozone Water Systems, a Director of Sentry Water Monitoring Technologies, an Advisory Board member for the Canada Water Portal, a partner with Toronto based private equity investment group 1440 Capital, and past Chair of the Board of WaterTAP Ontario, the province of Ontario’s water technology accelerator.
Senior Advisor, MaRS Enterprise
An entrepreneur angel investor, Jenny brings vast experience to the Enterprise team. Prior to joining MaRS, she was co-founder and CEO of Aida (acquired by Vision Critical) and Metafor Software (acquired by Splunk). Jenny also worked for BDC Capital where she led investments in technology startups, and was a consultant with both the Boston Consulting Group and Bain & Company. Jenny holds a bachelor of applied science in electrical engineering from the University of British Columbia and an MBA from INSEAD.