MaRS clients clean up at Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Awards
Toronto, October 1, 2009 – Four Ontario start-up companies working with MaRS advisory services are among those recognized by this year’s Deloitte Technology Fast 50TM program, Canada’s pre-eminent technology awards.
Aeryon Labs Inc., Bayalink Solutions Corp., Real Tech Inc. and Vive Nano were honoured in two separate awards categories for their revenue potential, technological innovation and entrepreneurial spirit.
Aeryon Labs and Bayalink Solutions, both from Waterloo, were presented with Companies-to-Watch Awards. These awards honour early-stage Canadian technology companies that have been in business for less than five years. Vive Nano from Toronto and Real Tech from Oshawa received Deloitte Technology Green 15TM Awards for the development and use of new, innovative technology to create products that compete with existing products while reducing impact on the environment.
- Aeryon Labs (www.aeryon.com) is the developer of the Aeryon Scout, an easy-to-use autonomous hovering aerial system that allows operators, including police and soldiers, to capture high-resolution imagery for surveillance.
- Bayalink (www.bayalink.com) virtualizes certain BlackBerry applications to enable users to interact with the BlackBerry using a large screen and regular keyboard.
- Real Tech (www.realtech.ca) produces testing instrumentation that allows water treatment facilities to detect and manage levels of harmful water treatment byproducts in water destined for public consumption.
- Vive Nano (www.vivenano.com) has developed a process to encapsulate compounds in nano-scale particles and plans to use this process in agricultural or environmental settings.
MaRS has assisted these four companies in a variety of ways. With the support of MaRS and Ontario’s Business Mentorship and Entrepreneurship Program (BMEP), Real Tech refined its business plan, accessed market research and developed targeted messaging for clients and investors. Real Tech also travelled to CleanTech Forum XXIII in Boston last month with a MaRS delegation and benefitted from intensive pitching coaching sessions with MaRS advisors.
“Boston CleanTech was an amazing opportunity, and we wouldn’t have been able to go without support from MaRS,” says Jodi Glover, CEO of Real Tech. “MaRS has been very influential in our business. It’s wonderful to find [an organization] that understands both the technology and the business aspects of our company.”
MaRS is a community sponsor of the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 program, which includes four distinct categories:
- Deloitte Technology Fast 50TM Ranking: a ranking of the 50 fastest-growing Canadian technology companies with the highest percentage revenue growth over five years.
- Companies-to-Watch Awards: this award honours early-stage Canadian technology companies in business less than five years, with the potential to be a future Deloitte Technology Fast 50TM winner.
- Leadership Awards: these awards are presented to companies that demonstrate technological leadership in four industry subcategories: hardware/semiconductor, software, telecommunications and emerging technologies.
- Deloitte Technology Green 15TM Awards: recognizes Canada’s leading GreenTech companies
MaRS Discovery District (www.marsdd.com) is a large scale, mission driven innovation centre located in Toronto and networked across Ontario, focused on building Canada’s next generation of technology companies. MaRS works closely with entrepreneurs to grow and scale their ventures into global market leaders in life sciences and health care, information, communications and digital media technologies, cleantech, advanced materials and engineering, as well as innovative social purpose business.
For more information, contact:
MaRS Discovery District