Jon Dogterom named new senior vice president of MaRS venture services
Toronto, ON (July 08, 2019) —Jon Dogterom has been named senior vice president of venture services at MaRS Discovery District.
The former managing director of MaRS Cleantech, Dogterom is tasked with leading the MaRS strategy of helping Canadian startups and scale-ups grow their businesses and reach new markets. He is also responsible for leading the organization’s stakeholder relations throughout the global innovation community.
“I’m thrilled about the opportunity and challenge ahead of me,” says Dogterom. “My priorities are to fuel success across the tech ecosystem, here in Toronto and across Canada. The companies we work with solve real problems for real people, and they have tremendous potential to grow the economy and make a positive social impact.”
“Jon was instrumental in helping Canada’s cleantech sector grow both domestically and internationally through his work at MaRS, and because of that influence and exceptional leadership, he was a natural choice to lead our entire venture services team,” says Yung Wu, CEO of MaRS. “Our innovation ecosystem has grown exponentially in recent years and it’s gaining traction internationally. I’m excited to see what Jon can bring to the table to accelerate the important work MaRS is doing for the Canadian economy.”
Dogterom has been crucial in building the organization’s reputation as an innovation leader, fostering partnerships with entrepreneurs, corporate partners, investors, academia, policymakers and more. He has recruited and advised some of Canada’s most promising cleantech ventures, many of which are on the prestigious 2019 Global Cleantech 100 list, and helped launch the Advanced Energy Centre, a public-private partnership led by MaRS which focused on innovation energy programs and strengthening international relationships to drive exports.
Prior to joining MaRS, Dogterom led business development for Hydrogenics, helping the cleantech company launch its fuel cell and hydrogen generation divisions. Dogterom also co-founded Sustainable Energy Technologies.
Dogterom holds degrees in civil environmental engineering (Queen’s University), and marketing and product management (MIT Sloan School of Management).
The MaRS venture services leadership team has also been restructured to better serve Canada’s innovation community:
- Krista Jones, former managing director of MaRS Enterprise, is now leading scale programming across all MaRS sectors, focusing on companies with proven revenues and market fit.
- Jane Kearns, former senior advisor of MaRS Cleantech, will lead start and grow programming across all MaRS sectors, focusing on early-stage companies.
- Richard Blundell, former senior director of corporate innovation networks at MaRS, is now managing director of MaRS Cleantech.
- Managing director of MaRS Fintech is Roy Kao.
- Managing director of MaRS Health is Ying Tam.
- Managing director of MaRS Tech – including technologies like 5G, autonomous vehicles, blockchain, artificial intelligence, enterprise, and others – is Oshoma Momoh, previously chief technical advisor at MaRS.
- Managing director of MaRS Advanced Manufacturing is Jason MacFarlane.
- Leading MaRS venture services programming is Jon Worren.
- Leading MaRS venture services operations is Susan McLean.
MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is North America’s largest urban innovation hub. Its purpose is to help innovators create a better world. MaRS supports promising Canadian ventures tackling key challenges in the health, cleantech, fintech and enterprise sectors. MaRS also brings together all members of the tech community — entrepreneurs, investors, academics, policymakers and more — helping them grow the economy and make a positive social impact.
MaRS Discovery District