Jeff Hindle joins MaRS Venture Services as Managing Director of Finance and Commerce
TORONTO, September 19, 2017 – MaRS Discovery District announced today that Jeff Hindle has joined MaRS Venture Services as the managing director of Finance and Commerce.
Jeff has a background managing product development and innovation in more than 30 countries and has spent more than 20 years driving innovation in financial services, technology and telecommunications.
“Jeff’s banking experience, deep knowledge of the Canadian financial services marketplace, and technology expertise make him a great addition to lead the Finance and Commerce team at MaRS,” said Salim Teja, president of MaRS Venture Services. “He has a strong background in the financial and technology industries, with expertise harnessing innovative technology to provide better service and better financial well-being to new markets. I am looking forward to the positive impact he will have on our fintech ecosystem.”
Prior to joining MaRS, Jeff was global principal at MasterCard International where he provided thought leadership in areas such as digital financial services and financial inclusion, security and digital identity, as well as international strategy. Jeff has also founded three startups, most recently a venture that offers alternative lending to small businesses in Canada and around the world. In 2010, he led a team at Scotiabank developing and launching a mobile wallet program that facilitated aid distribution following the earthquake in Haiti. The program eventually became the biggest mobile savings and payments service in the country.
“As managing director of MaRS Finance and Commerce, I am excited about growing the financial technology startup program at MaRS and building the global profile of Canadian fintech,” said Jeff. “Our fintech ecosystem is thriving because of collaboration among ventures, corporates and capital. Toronto is also home to diverse tech talent with expertise in technologies like artificial intelligence, blockchain and data science. I look forward to furthering partnerships between ventures and financial institutions, and supporting the technologies that are helping to put Canada and Toronto fintech on the global map.”
Today, MaRS Finance and Commerce works with financial institutions including CIBC, Manulife, Moneris and PayPal, as well as over 200 startups, developing solutions in eight key areas that are driving fintech innovation.
- Artificial intelligence, data and analytics: Machine learning tools to better engage with customers and increase revenue
- Alternative finance: Alternative lending, credit, mortgage and investment tools for businesses and consumers
- Cybersecurity: Identity verification and safe transaction tools to protect personal information
- Insurance tech: Technologies that are revolutionizing on-demand insurance
- Marketplaces: Virtual spaces convening multiple brands for streamlined online shopping
- Online and mobile retail: Digital and online shopping solutions for on-the-go purchases
- Payments: Cloud-based platforms and solutions that enable fast, secure payments
- Blockchain: Distributed ledger technologies, digital assets and cryptocurrencies
To learn more or apply for MaRS Venture Services support visit marsdd.com/fintech