11 Aug 2015
#ICYMI: MaRS venture news for June and July 2015
Summer is in full swing and our local entrepreneurs are working as hard as ever, raising financing rounds, garnering big media attention, launching new products and even winning global awards!
- In early June, Universe (previously Uniiverse), an event planning and discovery startup, announced that it was acquired by Ticketmaster.
- Health venture Xagenic, the developer of a lab-free diagnostic platform, raised a $15-million financing round in mid-July.
- In early July, cleantech venture Nanoleaf was granted a Global Efficiency Medal for Lighting from the SEAD Initiative.
- ITBusiness.ca published a great piece featuring Nanoleaf and WatrHub, two local cleantech ventures, and Wealthsimple, a local financial technology venture in MaRS’ FinTech cluster.
- Nanoleaf’s ever-stunning LED light bulbs were featured on “Breakfast Television Toronto” for a segment on summer patio decor.
- This piece on how SunFarmer is helping to rebuild Nepal using solar power is a must read.
- eSight goes viral again with a heart-touching video of a legally blind woman from Windsor, Ontario, seeing her son for the first time. The company is now the poster child for how to make your company go viral—read more in this BetaKit article. To top it off, eSight announced in late July that it is planning to go public.
- Rip n Go’s Adrian Campbell was interviewed on CBC Radio in Thunder Bay.
- Figure 1 was featured in a “CTV News” segment on health apps.